There were 1,683 households out of which 34.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 86.4% weremarried couples living together, 3.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 9.0% were non-families. 7.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 3.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.79 and the average family size was 2.93.
In the city the population was spread out with 25.1% under the age of 18, 3.8% from 18 to 24, 19.3% from 25 to 44, 38.0% from 45 to 64, and 13.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 46 years. For every 100 females there were 101.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.9 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $99,685, and the median income for a family was $101,751. Males had a median income of $72,031 versus $43,750 for females. The per capita income for the city was $45,293. About 1.5% of families and 1.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 1.3% of those under age 18 and 4.4% of those age 65 or over.
In 1849, a group of Free Thinker German colonists from Bettina camped on the north side of Cibolo Creek, about a mile west of the site of present Boerne. They named their new community after Cicero'sTusculum home in ancientRome. In 1852, John James and Gustav Theissen, who helped settle Sisterdale, platted the townsite, renamed it in honor of German author Karl Ludwig Börne, with the Anglicized spelling of Boerne. The town was not incorporated until 1909. August Staffell was the original postmaster in 1856.
The 1870 limestone courthouse, second oldest in Texas, was designed by architects Philip Zoeller and J. F. Stendebach, and stands directly across the street from the current 1998 courthouse designed by architects Rehler Vaughn & Koone, Inc.
In the late 1870s, retired British army officers, including Glynn Turquand and Captain Egremont Shearburn, played one of the first polo matches in the United States in Boerne. The polo ground is still visible on Balcones Ranch, bought by Captain Turquand in 1878.
Boerne's robust environment encouraged the health resort industry. Sisters of the Incarnate Word founded the St. Mary's Sanitarium in 1896 for pulmonary patients; Dr. W.E. Wright contracted with the Veterans Administration in 1919 to provide care for World War I veterans suffering from lung ailments; the William L. Sill Tuberculosis Resort operated northwest of Boerne; and Mrs. Adolph (Emilie) Lex opened her home to recovering patients, eventually converting two rooms into operating rooms.
Karl Degener organized the Boerne Gesang Verein (singing club) and the Boerne Village Band in 1860. The family and descendants of Sisterdale resident Baron Ottmar von Behr have included three generations of directors of the Boerne Village Band, and four generations of musicians. The band is billed as "Oldest Continuously Organized German Band in the World outside Germany", and in 1998 the Federal Republic of Germany recognized the Boerne Village Band for its contribution to the German heritage in Texas and America.
Created in the early 2010s, the Hill Country Mile is a 1.1 mile long walking path following River Road Park and historic Main Street. The path was created as a catalyst to unify and preserve the rich cultural identity of downtown Boerne. It was also created to increase and foster economic growth through downtown shopping and culture centers.
Cibolo Nature Center (CNC) comprises over 100 acres of Hill Country trails and wilderness. The center was first opened to the public on Earth Day in 1990 after founder Carolyn Chipman Evans urged the City of Boerne to preserve marshland around Boerne City Park. CNC is maintained through a 501c3 non-profit organization called The Friends of the Cibolo Wilderness. Trails are open every day from 8 a.m. until dusk.