Seabrook is a city in Harris County in the U.S. state of Texas, with some water surface area located within Chambers County. The population was 11,952 at the 2010 census. Several fish markets line the city's waterfront, while antique shops and bed and breakfast establishments are found in the city's downtown area. The city is home to several miles of trails, which connect multiple city parks to each other.
Seabrook is known for its fish markets on Waterfront Drive where resident shrimpers and fishermen bring in their catches daily. Besides bordering the bay, the city encompasses marshes through which runoff from inland fields drain to the bay. The piece of land was purchased by Seabrook W. Sydnor in 1895. In March 1903, the Seabrook Company of Houston created a layout of the proposed Seabrook Town site. The new town attracted fishermen, merchants and even a few residents.
The Galveston Hurricane of 1900 demolished the local school, but by 1905 it was restored and was run by three teachers who taught 100 students. The local schools became part of the Clear Creek Independent School District in 1947. The population of Seabrook rose from 200 to 560 before the Great Depression, but fell to 200 in 1936, and remained at 400 from 1940 until 1947, when the Albert and Ernest Fay shipyard opened. It could handle 150 boats, and opened up jobs and is the main cause of the population increase. Despite damage from Hurricane Carla, a bridge linking Seabrook and Kemah was completed in 1961. With the opening of the bridge and the Johnson Space Center (JSC) in Houston, Seabrook's population rose to approximately 6,000.
In 1986, the decision was made to start the construction of a fixed-span bridge that was tall enough for sailboats to pass under. After this bridge was finished, Highway 146 was linked all the way from Galveston to Texas State Highway 225. This spurred a further increase in the population of Seabrook to its present level of nearly 12,000 people. Seabrook's residents are quite diversified and are employed in a variety of professional positions. Quite a few residents have ties to the chemical and oil industry as well as the NASA space program.
Boutique in the historic downtown section of Seabrook
A historic downtown area was constructed in the early 20th century and it stands today, with many locals running their businesses. Most are antique shops or bed and breakfast places.
Seabrook is host to the Texas Concours d'Elegance "Keels & Wheels" classic car and boat show held each year the first weekend in May at Lakewood Yacht Club. The Seabrook Festival of the Arts is held annually on the grounds of Seabrook City Hall and Community House at First Street, where artists exhibit paintings, sculpture, textiles, jewelry, wood works, photography and musical performances by Texas musicians. The festival is sponsored by the City of Seabrook in cooperation with the Art Consortium of the Texas Gulf Coast.
The goal of the Pelican Path Project has been to improve Seabrook’s identity as a community and one of the largest migratory paths in North America, and a bird sanctuary to both the brown and white pelicans. The project also displays connectedness of the city by its many bed and breakfasts, close family values, available water attractions and its unique downtown of small businesses.
Most businesses in Seabrook have purchased a pelican from Pelican Project and have customized it to represent their type of business, as well as the city of Seabrook. This project has not only attracted tourism to Seabrook, but united the businesses of the city. Artists from all over Texas have participated in this project, which has attracted future plans for more cultural art projects in Seabrook.
There are 8 miles (13 km) of continuous trails from Hammer Street to Galveston Bay at Pine Gully Park, where the Lucky Trails Marathon is run in March. The trail system was built from crushed granite, which connects most of the city's parks, including Robinson and Pine Gully Parks. The trail system traverses habitats for a wide variety of wildlife.
Notable locations in this zip code not listed on our city pages:
Notable locations in zip code 77586: Seabrook Shipyard Marina (A), The Landing Marina (B), Lakeside Yachting Center Marina (C), Lakewood Yacht Club Marina (D), Marina Bay (E), Parkside Marina (F), Blue Dolphin Yachting Center Marina (G), El Lago Marina (H), Seabrook Volunteer Fire Department Station 1 (I), Seabrook Volunteer Fire Department Station 2 (J), Pasadena Volunteer Fire Department Station 6 (K), Pasadena Volunteer Fire Department Station 9 (L), Taylor Lake Village City Hall (M), El Lago Police Department (N), Seabrook Police Department - Administration (O), Seabrook Police Department (P), Bay Area Museum (Q), City of Seabrook Fire Department (R), Port of Houston Authority Fire Department Station 4 (S). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in zip code 77586 include: First Baptist Church of Seabrook (A), Seabrook United Methodist Church (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemetery: Seabrook Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Lakes: Taylor Lake (A), Clear Lake (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Taylor Bayou (A), Armand Bayou (B), Horsepen Bayou (C), Boggy Bayou (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Parks in zip code 77586 include: Rex L Meador Park (1), Miramar Park (2), Friendship Park (3), Community Park (4), Clear Lake Park (5), Bay Area Park (6). Display/hide their locations on the map