In the mid-1800s Katy was known as Cane Island. Named for the creek that still runs through the area (now a branch of Buffalo Bayou).The creek was filled with cane presumed to have been planted for fur trapping by earlier residents. In the middle of the flat coastal prairie – this ‘island’ of cane was surrounded by an ocean of tall grass; thus the area became known as Cane Island. The trail from Harrisburg to San Antonio known as the San Felipe Road; ran right through it.
In 1845 James J. Crawford received a land grant that included this area. Hot summers, cold winters, thick mud and voracious mosquitoes made the area quite difficult to settle. Thirty years later Crawford, John Sills and freed slaves Thomas and Mary Robinson were the only recorded residents of Cane Island. In 1893 the Missouri–Kansas–Texas Railroad (now a part of Union Pacific) started laying rails through Cane Island. The railroad began operation in 1895. That same year James Oliver Thomas laid out a town and in January 1896 the town of Katy was named through Thomas’s post office application. The name was based on appreciation for the MKT Railroad (which was called ‘the Katy’ by railroad officials) and the expected prosperity its arrival would bring to the new town. Today, the original train stop and railroad tracks are still very much a part of the town. By the early 1900s many families had come by train and wagon to establish Katy. Several hotels, stores, livery and saloons were prospering and farms and ranches were replacing the wild prairie. Cotton and peanuts were the first successful crops but rice soon became the favorite. Katy later became known for rice farming, the first concrete rice driers in the state of Texas were built here in 1944 and still stand as landmarks.
In 1945 the City of Katy was incorporated as a municipality. Boundaries were determined by finding the area that contained the most residents and was reasonably sized so that it could be managed by city services. The City of Katy is now the anchor for the greater Katy area, defined by the boundaries of 181 sq mi (470 km2). Katy Independent School District.
The opening of IH-10 in 1966 allowed for rapid development of the area as Houston expanded westward. The city has grown to a population of approximately 15,000 residents who enjoy state of the art support and services. Almost 270,000 people live in the Katy area, which has won national accolades for growth and sustainability.
In 2009 the Gadberry Group named Katy as one of nine "9 from 2009" most notable high growth areas in the United States.
Retail centers are springing up all throughout Katy to accommodate the rapid residential growth. The major retail growth is now being focused on the Katy Fort Bend Road near the east entrance to the Katy Mills shopping mall.
In July 2013, Costco announced that it will open a store at the South-West corner of Grand Parkway and I-10 in 2014. Construction began in August 2013. The new store will be built by early spring 2014 and will be Costco's fourth Houston-area location.
Katy is a thriving area west of Houston but is often further defined as either "old Katy" or "the Katy area". Old Katy is the actual City of Katy which was incorporated in 1945 and is located near the western edge of the greater Katy area. Before the City was incorporated and boundary lines were drawn, the entire area was known as Katy because Katy's MKT Railroad Depot was the hub of all business in this vicinity. Today the Katy area includes the City of Katy but also the large sections of unincorporated Harris, Fort Bend and Waller counties and defined by the boundaries of the 181 sq mi (470 km2) Katy Independent School District. Most residents of the area have a Katy postal address causing some confusion. The All Aboard Katy! public art project and the Katy Area Economic Development Council's "Energy Grows Here" branding initiative are large scale projects that have been launched to help promote,identify and unite the Katy area.
Greater Katy includes new upscale developments and master planned communities such as Cinco Ranch, Green Trails, Pin Oak Village, Grayson Lakes, Seven Meadows, new and growing Pine Mill Ranch, Silver Ranch, Firethorne and Grand Lakes, while also encompassing developments from the 1970s and 1980s such asMemorial Parkway, Kelliwood and Nottingham Country.
The city of Houston's extraterritorial jurisdiction (ETJ) stretches well west of the City of Katy which means most of the Katy area may be annexed by the City of Houston at some time in the future. The City of Katy is an incorporated municipality that may never be annexed into Houston. The City of Katy's ETJ is limited to parcels of land west and north of the city itself.
Notable locations in this zip code not listed on our city pages:
Notable locations in zip code 77450: Great Southwest Equestrian Center (A), James E Taylor High School Basketball Gym (B), West Interstate 10 Fire Department Station 3 (C), West Interstate 10 Fire Department Station 1 (D), West Interstate 10 Fire Department Station 2 (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Shopping Centers: Green Tree Shopping Center (1), Kingsland Village Shopping Center (2), Mason Creek Village Shopping Center (3), Mason Park Center Shopping Center (4), Mason Village Shopping Center (5), One Mason Plaza Shopping Center (6). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in zip code 77450 include: Living Word Lutheran Church (A), Cornerstone Evangelical Presbyterian Church (B), Epiphany of the Lord Catholic Community Church (C), Family Life Assembly of God Church (D), Kingsland Baptist Church (E), Grace Fellowship United Methdist Church (F), Saint Peters United Methodist Church (G), Mason Creek Community Church (H), New Vision Baptist Church (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Mason Creek (A), Little Prong (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Parks in zip code 77450 include: Mustang Field (1), James E Taylor High School Baseball Field (2). Display/hide their locations on the map