Patrons for Bellaire Parks Annual Wine and Tapas October 5th, 2013 4400 Bellaire Boulevard This annual event organized by Patrons for Bellaire Parks will donate proceeds from the evening to Evelyn’s Park. Please mark your calendars and make plans to join in the fun at the event which will be held on the Evelyn’s Park site.
For more information on how to become an event sponsor and to buy your tickets, go to thePatrons for Bellaire
Vision It is the vision of Evelyn’s Park Conservancy to create for the community a beautiful and vibrant, urban park setting for citizens of all ages to enjoy being together in Bellaire’s Front Yard.
Mission Evelyn’s Park Conservancy is committed to designing, developing and transforming the 5-acre historic former Teas Nursery site into a park that will enhance the health, safety and well-being of the citizens of Bellaire, Texas and surrounding communities through the park programs that will be available at Evelyn’s Park.
Park History The property’s history traces back to 1843 when on this site Teas Nursery Company was owned and operated by renowned horticulturist, John C. Teas. Teas Nursery was one of the first businesses in Bellaire and Harris County. John’s son, Edward Teas, began landscaping parts of Houston in early 1909 including: Bellaire, Montrose, River Oaks subdivision, and Rice University. By 1951, Teas Nursery had planted over 1 million trees in the Houston area, all grown on the land that makes up this new park. In 1993, the Texas Historical Commission designated the land on which the business was located as a Texas Historical Site. There remains on the property a Texas Historical marker commemorating the history of this business.
When family members shut down the business in December 2009, Jerry and Maury Rubenstein, of Bellaire, acquired the 5-acre historic site and donated the land to the City of Bellaire on behalf of the Jerry and Maury Rubenstein Foundation. The land was donated on the condition that it be developed for park and recreational purposes. The park is named in honor of Jerry and Maury Rubenstein’s mother, Evelyn. Evelyn Rubenstein was a woman who loved her family and understood the importance of community spirit. The Rubenstein family has carried on her tradition of giving back to the community with the gift of this parkland to the citizens of Bellaire and all persons that visit for generations to come.
To officially designate this 5-acre site as a park, Bellaire City Council passed a City Ordinance in early summer 2011. More that 100 citizens braved the summer heat on Saturday, June 25, 2011 to celebrate with the City of Bellaire and Evelyn’s Park Conservancy the official dedication of the City’s newest park.
Min Project is $5K and can exceed $1M for Commercial Events