Notable locations in this zip code not listed on our city pages:
Notable locations in zip code 75225: NorthPark Center (A), Dallas Fire - Rescue Station 27 (B), Biblical Arts Center (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Shopping Center: EOP Sterling Plaza Shopping Center (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Churches in zip code 75225 include: John of Beverley Chapel Church (A), Temple Emanuel (B), Saint Michael and All Angels Church (C), Christ Lutheran Church (D), Temple Emanuel Sisterhood Synagogue (E), Westminster Church (F), Highland Baptist Church (G), Bahai Faith Coppell Church (H), Northway Church (I).Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemetery: Hillcrest Memorial Park (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Parks in zip code 75225 include: Smith Park (1), Caruth Park (2), Northcrest Park (3). Display/hide their locations on the map
University Park is bordered on the north, east and west by Dallas and on the south by the town of Highland Park. University Park and Highland Park together comprise the Park Cities, an enclave of Dallas.
Addresses in University Park may use either "Dallas, Texas" or "University Park, Texas" as the city designation, although the United States Postal Service prefers the use of the "Dallas, Texas" designation for the sake of simplicity. The same is true for mail sent to Highland Park.
University Park began as a cluster of homes surrounding the fledgling Southern Methodist University, which was founded in the then-rural Dallas County in 1915. The university supplied these homes with utility service until 1924, when the growing population could no longer be supported by the school's utilities. In response, the area’s homeowners first sought annexation into the town of Highland Park, but were refused due to the high cost that would have been required to provide the necessary utility and safety services. Shortly thereafter, Dallas also refused a request for annexation on similar grounds.
Determined to confront the challenges before them, community leaders organized to incorporate as a separate individual city. According to state law, incorporation required that area residents hold an election on the issue before the new city could be officially formed and recognized. On April 24, 1924, voters approved the measure by a 5:1 margin. Operating under the commission form of government, the city began the work of shaping the new government and addressing the pressing need to establish basic municipal services. To provide for the financial needs of the city, another election was held soon thereafter to authorize the issuance of municipal bonds. Passing by a near unanimous margin, the $150,000 bond issue funded the installation of a new water supply system, street paving, and the construction of a new city hall and fire station. When first incorporated, the city encompassed 515 acres (2.08 km2), 380 homes, and 1200 residents.
As a result of efforts to build and improve the city, University Park grew to a population of over 20,000 residents by 1945 and had become one of the most prestigious locations in the area. In fact, the community's attractiveness and tax value had risen to such an extent that the city of Dallas now wanted to annex University Park into its boundaries. At the time of the election, even the Board of Commissioners favored the election. In the largest voter turnout to that date and still one of the largest in city history, the annexation was denied by a 53% to 47% margin.
In 1946 an election to adopt a Home Rule Charter was held, but the measure failed and the city continued to operate as a General Law city. In 1989 voters approved a Home Rule Charter which officially adopted a council-manager form of government and expanded the three member board of Commissioners into a five member city council.
Since the 1940s, the population and area of University Park have remained relatively stable at 22,000 residents and 2,350 acres (4.7 square miles). The city is now surrounded by Dallas on three sides and the town of Highland Park to the south.
The City of University Park operates several parks. They include Burleson Park, Caruth Park, Coffee Park, Curtis Park, Elena's Children's Park, Germany Park, Goar Park, Linear Park, Smith Park, and Williams Park.
Burleson Park was named after James B. Burleson, who served as the Mayor Pro-tem and the city commissioner. University Park mayor H. E. Yarbrough dedicated the park on September 5, 1947. Elena Children's Park was named after Mary Elena Franklin, a girl who died at the age of three in an automobile accident on August 2, 1997. Over 500 corporations, families, and foundations contributed to the park.
The Holmes Aquatic Center, within Curtis Park, has a 50-meter (160 ft) pool, 1-metre (3.3 ft) and 3-metre (9.8 ft) diving boards, a water slide, and an accessibility ramp. The park also has a pool for younger children and a 1,500-square-foot (140 m2) sprayground. University Park residents and residents of the Highland Park Independent School District are permitted to use the park. The city operates six tennis courts available only to University Park residents. Parks with tennis courts include Burleson, Caruth, Curtis, Germany, Smith, and Williams.