Notable locations in this zip code not listed on our city pages:
Notable locations in zip code 78704: Green Pastures House (A), Louis and Mathilde Reuter House (B), Mather-Kirkland House (C), Alumni Gym (D), Andre Hall (E), Austin Fire Department Station 11 (F), Basil Moreau Hall (G), Carriage House (H), Clinger Gymnasium (I), Deaf Smith Ranger Center (J), Doyle Hall (K), Dujarie Hall (L), East Hall (M), Fleck Hall (N), Fondren Hall(O), Holy Cross Hall (P), John Brooks Williams Natural Science Center (Q), Koen Hall (R), Lewis Hall (S), Michael Paggi House (T). Display/hide their locations on the map
Shopping Centers: Lamar Plaza Shopping Center (1), Brodie Oaks Shopping Center (2), Lake Hills Plaza Shopping Center (3). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in zip code 78704 include: Goodwill Baptist Church (A), Friendly Will Baptist Church (B), Emanuel Assembly of God Church (C), South Austin Apostolic Church (D), Kinney Avenue Baptist Church (E), Holy Name of Mary Church (F), South First Baptist Church (G), Faith United Methodist Church (H), Saint Ignatius Martyr Church (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemetery: Assumption Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Creeks: Blunn Creek (A), Barton Creek (B), Skunk Hollow Creek (C), West Bouldin Creek (D), East Bouldin Creek (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Parks in zip code 78704 include: South Austin Park (1), Disch Field (2), Big Stacy Park (3), Gillis Park (4), Little Stacy Park (5), Butler Park (6), Saint Edwards University Track Field (7), Saint Edwards University Soccer Field (8), Rudolph Gamblin Field (9). Display/hide their locations on the map
Tourist attractions (not listed on the city page) : Blazer Tag Adventure Center (Amusement & Theme Parks; 1701 West Ben White Boulevard Building 1), Alien Scooters (Tours & Charters; 1122 South Lamar Boulevard).
Barton Hills is primarily residential, with the oldest homes dating back to the 1940s. Additionally, the area is home to several attractions including the Barton Creek Greenbelt nature preserve and the Umlauf Sculpture Garden and Museum. Just north of the neighborhood are Barton Springs Pool, a natural spring fed by Barton Creek, and the 351-acre Zilker Park.
In 1837, William "Uncle Billy" Barton set up his pioneer homestead near a natural spring on the southern bank of the Colorado River, naming the springs after his daughters Parthenia, Eliza and Zenobia. Their names did not stick, but William's did and 160 years later the springs, the pool and several popular Austin neighborhoods bear the name "Barton."
Established in the 1940s and 1950s with construction continuing through the 1970s to the late 1990s, Barton Hills is dotted with all kinds of homes. Barton Hills was featured in Austin’s 1956 Parade of Homes as “the world’s largest air conditioned subdivision.” Beginning in that year, it was platted as subdivision in six sections by S.R. Sheppard, Builders Development Corporation and others. Barton Hills eventually had 1,585 lots planned on its 535 acres (0.84 square mile).[2
There are several Mosaic murals in the neighborhood created by a local artist.
South River City is a community located in Austin, Texas. Also frequently called Travis Heights, the neighborhood is located south of the city's urban core, just below Lake Lady Bird in South Austin. The area encompasses a portion of ZIP code 78704.
The area known as South River City developed in the late 19th and early 20th century as Austin's first planned urban communities south of the Colorado River. Swisher's Addition and Fairview Park, the first two attempts at settlement in present-day South River City were troubled by the lack of transportation with Downtown Austin. However, the concrete Congress Avenue Bridge was completed in 1910, thus laying the groundwork for a neighborhood boom in the 1920s and 1930s. Many of the homes built were single-family, and some of those that remain are Victorian-era structures with gingerbread trim, Craftsman-influenced bungalows, and housed influenced by the Prairie School style. Many houses have gabled or hipped roofs and deep porches.
The Swisher Addition and birth of South Congress
Bungalow in Travis Heights.
As was the case with other South Austin neighborhoods, the area around present-day South River City was slower to develop. Prior to the late 19th century, transportation to and from Downtown Austin was dependent on ferries and pontoon bridges.
James Swisher settled on a bluff in present-day South Austin with his family in 1846, and initially operated a tavern and a hotel. It was Swisher who granted Travis County the right-of-way to begin construction of a highway to San Antonio in 1852. Sensing the commercial opportunities that the new highway would bring, Swisher also began operating a ferry service across the Colorado River that same year. The establishment of Swisher's ferry and the Post Road in the early 1850s encouraged modest settlement in South Austin, particularly along the road, such as the Texas School for the Deaf in 1856. Further growth was halted by the outbreak of the U.S. Civil War and Reconstruction. Until the a wooden bridge was finally built in 1876, South Austinites were dependent on ferry service and pontoon bridges to get to and from Downtown Austin. The bridge made South Austin more accessible than ever before, and in 1877 John Milton Swisher (James' son) subdivided 23 acres of the family farm along the San Antonio Road. It was to become Austin's first urban addition south of the Colorado River.
Platted in 1877, it was noted as an addition to "South Austin" rather than Austin, perhaps acknowledging South Austin's separate identity from the capital city. Swisher allotted a very generous 120 foot right-of-way through the center of his grid-style residential addition. The wide avenue was laid out in a direct line with Congress Avenue on the north side of the river. This visionary and civic act dedicated a grand view from Swisher's farm to the public domain.South Congress Avenue, in spite of being separated from the downtown portion of the street by about a mile over the Colorado River and low-lying areas, preserved the major approach to the Capitol and city center for future residents and visitors. A permanent and fully paved connection from Bouldin Creek to the north side of the river would not be complete for another 50 years. Streets were named Monroe, James, Annie, Nellie, Elizabeth, Mary, Johanna, Eva, Newton and Brackenridge. These names have survived to the present.
Swisher's Addition was not immediately successful. The wooden bridge collapsed in 1883, and while an iron bridge was built later that same decade, the concrete Congress Avenue Bridge and streetcar lines did not extend to South Austin until about 1910. Because this impeded would-be residents from being able to commute to downtown jobs with ease, development was slow and South Congress Avenue remained a country road through a largely rural landscape throughout the remainder of 19th century.
Despite Swisher's minimal success, other developers tried their luck in South Austin. In 1886 Charles Newning bought the northern portion of the Swisher farm with plans of developing an “upscale, owner-occupied, garden suburb." In contrast to Swisher's grid-style addition on the high, relatively flat ground of the area, Newning's development was created over a hilly area with two creeks through it and numerous city views from its hillsides and terraces. Newning’s vision became Fairview Park – named because this area offered a “fair view” of the city from the bluffs.
Mr. Newning’s ideal development was never realized in large part because he did not anticipate the extent to which commercial development would occur on South Congress, the difficulty of crossing the river, and the distance from town. Before the turn of the century a number of Victorian homes were built on the large lots. Development, however, was so sparse that starting in the 1910s lots were subdivided into smaller parcels. In the 1920s and 1930s, small bungalows and cottages were built on these smaller lots. A much altered and scaled-back Fairview Park was not built out until the 1940s.
Following the completion of the concrete Congress Avenue Bridge in 1910, pedestrians, automobiles and Austin's streetcar system were able to reach South River City with ease and the area began to grow. In 1913, General William Harwood Stacy, Charles Newning’s partner, and Stacy’s sons began development of Travis Heights. Travis Heights was the most heavily promoted subdivision of its time. Stacy ran streetcars full of prospective buyers out to Travis Heights from the Capitol to see the area before the homes were even built and gave away Ford Touring cars as part of a promotional campaign. He also incorporated deed restrictions against multi-family and commercial development in his subdivision to reassure buyers that Travis Heights would remain a residential enclave.
Based on his earlier experience with Charles Newning and Fairview Park, General Stacy laid out his South River City subdivision with both curving and grid streets and provided lot sizes and prices to fit a range of customers, from the builders of modest bungalows to grand home sites with commanding vistas. Travis Heights was an immediate success and a great surge of home building took place in the 1920s, so that by the General's death in 1928, 600 lots had been sold and more than 160 homes built.
Houston Neighborhoods, Southampton, Southside Place, West University, Museum District, Avondale, Memorial Park, Rice Military, Heights, Timbergrove, Montrose, Upper Kirby, River Oaks, Braes Heights, Linkwood, Highland Village , Afton Oaks, Royden Oaks, Weslayan Plaza, Blvd Oaks, Broadacres, Southgate, Braeswood, Memorial, Tanglewood, Galleria, Briargrove, Westhaven, Woodlake, Briarmeadow, Energy Corridor, Fleetwood, Bay Oaks, Bellaire, Meyerland, Maplewood, Sugar Land, Spring Valley, Hedwig Village, Hunters Creek Village, Piney Point Village, The Villages, New Territory, First Colony, Sweetwater, Greatwood, Katy, Cinco Ranch, Kemah, League City, Clear Lake, Nassau Bay, Seabrook, Pearland, 77004, BAILEY ED, 77005, SOUTHSIDE PLACE, WEST UNIVERSITY PLACE, SUNSET TERRACE, PEMBERTON, 77007, ARLINGTON TERRACE, GLEN COVE, TAYLOR DALE, CRESTWOOD, 77016, CRANFORD PLACE, 77019, AVALON PLACE, RIVER OAKS, RIVER OAKS COUNTRY CLUB, 77024, SHERWOOD FOREST, STABLEWOOD, MEMORIAL DRIVE MANOR, HEDWING, WILLOWICK, BAYOU WOODS, LONGWOODS, HUNTERWOOD, HUNTERS GROVE, TYNEWOOD, SANDALWOOD, TARA OAKS, LAKEVIEW, MEMORIAL TIMBERS, CREEKSIDE MANOR, PINE WOOD ESTATES, 77027, ROYDEN OAKS, OAK ESTATES, 77042, RIVERCREST, 77056, BAYOU GLEN (HOUSTON), PINE SHADOWS, WEST OAKS, TANGLEWOOD, TANGLELANE, BROAD OAKS, 77057, INDIAN TRAIL, 77063, PINEY POINT ESTATES, RIVERBEND, 77346, KINGS LAKE ESTATES, 77380, WOODLANDS - Lake Woodlands East Shore, 77382, WOODLANDS - Village Of Carlton Woods, 77401, BRAEBURN CC ESTATES, POST OAK PLAZA, 77459, WATERS COVE AT RIVERSTONE, 77479, AVALON, ENCLAVE AT WATERS OF AVALON
San Antonio Service Area - Northridge Park, Northwest San Antonio, Canyon Springs, Timberwood Park, Stone Oak